Gwannap Pit Ownership

During the time of Wesley’s visits and the remodelling of the site, Gwennap Pit was owned by various landlords, including the Duke of Buckingham.

At some point during this period, it came into the ownership of the Williams family of Scorrier House. John Williams (1753 - 1841) had made his money in mining & smelting and was known as ‘The King of Gwennap’. The Williams family sold the freehold of Gwennap Pit to the Methodist Church in 1978 for £8,000.